11 September 2008

[Off Topic Rant] Incompetence at Its Best

Today is the day I was supposed to have shiny, new internet service. I say "supposed to" because I don't actually have it yet. 

I talked to the DSL people downtown on Monday about getting set up with a modem and service and was told that it would take until the 15th before my service was ready, but I could have the modem now and he would call if my service could be turned on any sooner. I received a call that evening saying that my internet would be ready and waiting for me on the 11th instead of the 15th. This was great! I could have even less time being overcharged by the cable company for spotty (at best) service. 

So today around 1 p.m. I set out to connect my new toys and get BLAZING ZOMG FAST internet. I kept getting errors telling me that the "far end" was not responding. Bad. I double-checked every setting on the modem and my router. Same error. I bypassed the router and jacked directly into my laptop. Same error. I call my brother (who knows way more about networking than I do) and he comes over to look at it. Same error. I finally call up the DSL help line from the card the salesman gave me. The non-native English speaker on the other end told me that I didn't have service because I wasn't scheduled to have it activated until the 15th. *sigh*

This wouldn't have been a problem for me at all if I had been told the correct date from the start. But when some underpaid salesman tells me a fictional figure to make him look better to me, and then can't deliver on that figure, it makes me irritated. I even tried to call the salesman on his "direct line" to try to get some information from him, and was forwarded to voice mail.

So now I have to wait until the original date (which I'm fine with) even after having been promised a connection in half the time (which I'm not fine with). Oh, well. Maybe I need to upgrade cities a little further before I can expect actual service.

No comments: