09 August 2008

ZOMG NEW SHINEYS!

So. . . .the new tabard and pet available to anyone (who participates in PvP) that Blizzard released today. On the one hand, I think that it's a good idea to make exclusive content for different aspects of the game. Like the achievements that are being instituted in WotLK. But on the other hand, I HATE RANDOMNESS.

Just in case that wasn't clear, the pet is only obtained on a *chance* every time you win a battleground. So far, it seems that it doesn't take any other factors into account; just if you won the battleground. I've heard of a lot of people who got it on their first win, and others who are going on 20+ wins in the struggle for the [Gold Medallion].

This is something that has bothered me about the game from my first days playing. I'd run an instance hoping for a particular drop and by the time I get it, I've picked up something better from a quest reward or a vendor. It never fails that on all of my 70s, I've gotten no more than 2 pieces of my Dungeon Set 3 before I start getting random bits of armor that are twice as good from rep grinds or whatnot.

I think there are two viable solutions to this problem.
1. Make the drops better.
If the dungeon drops (or random chance items like the dragon pet from PvP) are good enough, then it will be worth winning enough battlegrounds or completing enough instance runs to get it.
2. Increase the drop rate.
This can be done by making tokens similar to the tier piece tokens that drop 100% of the time for multiple classes, or simply by increasing the drop rate of the items themselves. This way, the items are of some use when they drop other than being turned into shards for the auction house.

How does this pertain to the PvP Chinese dragon pet? Well, it's hard to get. And by hard, I really just mean unpredictable. This means that someone with no PvP skill at all (myself included in that very large group) can simply walk into a winning battleground, beat on some things, heal some people, and walk away with a bright new pet. Admittedly, this is how I came away with my [Reins of the Raven Lord], but I like to think that I had to have at least some skill to survive the heroic, even if the skill wasn't that much.

I guess this is all just a frustrated outburst about how I can't get my pet, even though I've won a total of 12 AB matches since the release of the tabard and pet. I haven't done any PvP before this, and don't intend to after, but I'm doing it now for the pet. Similarly, I did Slave Pens for the [Deathfrost] enchant and [Frostscythe of Lord Ahune], but don't really plan on going back until another special occasion. 

So if you want to think about the Olympic pet as a rare drop in an instance then, compared to similar seasonal bosses, I've more than paid my dues.

No comments: